Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My Experiences with the Subject Basic Computer Applications

WE cannot negate the fact that a large number of Filipino teachers are still unadept with regards to their facility of the technological advances offered by computers. Despite of the inclusion of computer education in the past curricula for teacher education, it is still seemingly insufficient to equip the would-be teachers with skills which will enable them to harness the endless possibilities that technology offers.
A product of a secondary school manned by competent mentors and characterized by a low-tech environment during our time, I was first acquainted with computers when I was in my first year in high school. After two sessions inside the computer laboratory, the terminals bugged down even before we master how to use the mouse.
After years of not seeing one, I was thrilled when I've found out that I have to enroll Computer Science 100. That was during my second year in college. To my dismay, the dexterity that I was hoping to have after the semester just turned out to be a skin-deep mastery. Our professor for the lecture sessions was fine but the laboratory instructor was a total disaster. Whenever we asked her to explain how something is done, she will just snob us claiming that she is a Social Science major.
A large portion of what I know now about computers were brought about by informal learning. But those informally-acquired skills need refinement. Thanks to Dr. Gaboy! Enrolling the Basic Computer Applications enabled me to immerse in a more technological environment. Before taking this subject, I was insecured with my students becasuse they know blogging and other stuffs. Thanks that I know how to do it now.
This subject also made me feel that I am a student again. I have to face the truth that my score in the pre-test is way below the mean. I have to grapple with a handful of requirements. I have to accept that some of my past students, now my classmates, are better than me in terms creating presentations. I have to go to Lingap in search for a butterfly or a bird which I could closely take a picture of for my MovieMaker assignment. What an awesome experience!
Basic Computer Applications made me realize that (1) so much about computer technology were developed without me mastering them and (2) I was and will always be a crammer, unless I do something to change this attribute.
Now, I can claim that my confidence level with regards to computer facility is way up high than what I had before enrolling the course.

No comments: